Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tray Makeover

Found this pretty baby at a thrift store for the wonderful price of $1.00! The colors are nice- for summer, but I wanted it to be a little more subtle. I had some Modge Podge and some wrapping paper at home, so I quickly got to work!


I actually bought this wrapping paper for a wedding present, but I knew I was going to want to use it for another purpose cause I loved the pattern. Its hard to tell in this pic, but you will see a couple pics down. I cut it to size, then used a spray adhesive to stick the paper to the tray, then busted out the Modge Podge and coated away.

I was really worried once it was done and drying, cause the color under was starting to show- I was worried I was gonna have to do another coat or even pick a new paper out.

Does anybody have any advice on this? I got frustrated because once it was dry, I noticed that there were air bubbles and creases in the paper. I made sure that when I put it on with the glue that it was all strait but it didn't dry that way. I smoothed it out as best I could but there are still some creases in the paper.

Here it is done!

Here is a close up of the paper that I used. Thank God the colors under didn't show up, and I was able to leave it with just one coat. I am stoked on the way it turned out! Not bad for my first tray makeover!

I went to Ross, and just couldn't resist this sweet little guy. I have had a thing for owls lately- maybe I'm just following along with the trend, who knows. They do remind me of my sister a lot. She used to have this fabulous belt that she loved that had an owl belt clip- maybe thats why I like them right now.

This is how I decided to decorate my new tray. Still a little unsure about it, but after spending far too long and making a complete mess I decided that I just needed to leave it alone, and continue to think about it.

Can you tell what the bottom book is called? Probably not- It's "Nosepicking for Pleasure" by Roland Flickit. Hehehehe!!! When I was little, I really enjoyed picking my nose- like most children- and for Christmas a couple years ago my mom got this book for me. I think its completely hysterical- its full of tips on how to pick your nose and what to do with your treasures when your done!

Love these acorns. I originally got them for some different activities in my preschool classroom, and when I left that school I made sure I didn't leave these cuties behind. I think they are perfect for some fall decor, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment