Monday, November 15, 2010

A Shelf Makeover

Or two rather...
I tend to get over the decor on my carved shelves pretty easily, and haven't really found a design that I am over -the- moon in love with which means these shelves get made-over often. Not as often as behind the couch though...
I took a small trip to Ross (which in my opinion is better than some thrift stores because of the pricing) and came home with a couple different accessories -and was very happy with the end result!
Anyways, here are the new and improved shelves:

Still in love with my owl friend- can't get enough of him. I set him on a candle holder that was a thrift store find which I painted, and put an empty frame behind the candle and holder. I just love the colors all together and am pretty in love with the whole set up


The blue pillars are from Ross, and I am totally in love with them too! I didn't have another candle to put on the smaller one, so I stuck a picture of me and my honey up there instead.


This is my Fall contribution for the shelf. My acorn box, with a spray painted mini pumpkin on a little white tray, on top of small books- even though I have had the bottom one for a while, it still cracks me up whenever I look at it!

I also scored this sweet little flower bowl that I love! Right now it is sitting on the tray I made over on top of the coffee table with a candle in it

1 comment:

  1. Permits and approvals take longer than most first-time home builders will expect, but despite the common misconception, it generally isn’t any more or less difficult or time consuming to get permits for a modular home. The first major difference in our laminated wood comes when the actual construction begins. With site-built construction, all site prep and foundation work must be completed before the actual house can be built since the framing for the house must be built on top of a finished foundation.

    Using modular construction on the other hand, work on the house can take place at the same time as the foundation is being prepared. Since modular homes are constructed in a controlled factory environment Cross-lamination they are not susceptible to delays due to weather or insufficient, sub-par, damaged, or stolen building materials. Even assuming not a single unexpected delay takes place on a site-built home, it will still take longer to construct than if it was built using modular construction.

    Finally the modular home gets set on the foundation and your builder connects the utilities and does all of the on-site work necessary to get you moved in! All while the site-built home cross laminated timber builders is still twiddling their thumbs, waiting for it to stop raining.

    Using cross-laminated timber as the main ingredient in a building design CLT House has many benefits. Compared to steel or concrete CLT is reasonably easy to work with on site. Prefabricated sections arrive on a truck, are quickly craned into place, and are simply joined together with a skeleton crew. It has been said that if you see someone with a saw or a hammer on a CLT building site – it means something has gone wrong.

    Of course when it comes to timber building – there is always the question of fire-safety, but CLT is vastly different from stick-frame wood construction. Mass timber is significantly more difficult to ignite and once it catches fire it begins to char, causing it to burn at a slow predictable rate. Believe it or not, engineered timber CLT building system like this can outperform structural steel in a fire. In one test, a glulam beam was pitted against a steel beam in a fire. The steel failed after 30 minutes, while the timber remained straight and true, retaining 70% of its structural integrity.

    On top of all this – CLT is made of a renewable crop, making it one of the most sustainable and low carbon building materials on the market. Of course it isn’t all plain sailing designing CLT wood construction system with CLT. As with all new materials it will require a huge amount of rigorous testing before it will be widely accepted by building departments around the world. In addition to this CLT is unfamiliar terrain for many designers, so working with it requires the development of new details and ways of building.

    ReplyDelete